Long Day’s Journey into Night


“The fog was where I wanted to be…I didn’t meet a soul. Everything looked & sounded unreal. Nothing was what it is. That’s what I wanted – to be alone with myself in another world where truth is untrue and life can hide from itself. Out beyond the harbor, where the road runs along the beach, I even lost the feeling of being on land. The fog & the sea seemed part of each other. It was like walking on the bottom of the sea. As if I had drowned long ago. As if I was a ghost belonging to the fog, & the fog was the ghost of the sea. It felt damned peaceful to be nothing more than a ghost within a ghost…Who wants to see life as it is, if they can help it? It’s the three Gorgons in one. You look in their faces & turn to stone. Or it’s Pan. You see him & you die – that is, inside you - & have to go on living as a ghost.”

- Eugene O’Neill

I think it’s the most beautiful passage I’ve ever read. And yes who wants to see life as it is, if they can help it? Sometimes life doesn’t leave you any option. I see so much pain in this passage. In fact, the character is actually numb with pain. But I guess there’s no end to human misery. That is why it has no face & yet you can see it everywhere.

Nadira Rahman