Scarlett – the hero cat!!!


Scarlett is the hero cat that saved her 5 kittens from 1996 Brooklyn fire.


Scarlett and her five kittens were discovered by veteran firefighter David Giannelli as he battled flames in an abandoned building in Brooklyn. After the fire was put out, he saw the mother carrying her kittens one by one across the street. Although her kittens were slightly singed but she was badly burnt & she had to have meds almost on a daily basis.


In her new Brooklyn home, Scarlett was top cat. She was being adopted by a writer. Four of her five kittens survived the blaze and they were adopted in pairs. Scarlett died on Oct. 11, 2008, after battling kidney failure, a heart murmur and lymphoma.


I think she’s the example of the most beautiful mom in the world. I came to know about her story few months ago & yes this story really touched my heart. She was not just brave; she was actually a ray of light for all of us. In all these years, I’ve heard such amazing stories about animals. And all these stories point to one thing – animal are too pure; their love is pure & innocent. They can go beyond the boundaries, if they have to.


Quite frankly, I don’t have words to express myself, cause I’m more of a critic & here we are talking about the most beautiful form of love – the love of a mother.
I dedicate this writing to my mother & all the other moms.
Nadira Rahman