Borderline Personality Disorder


Miami Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a mental condition marked by difficulties with relationships, poor self-image and problems controlling moods and emotions.
Borderline personality disorder is rarely diagnosed but studies say it is more common than schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
Marshall has said that even though he had a $50-million football contract and a beautiful wife, he was not happy.
After a domestic dispute with his wife in April landed him in the hospital with a stab wound and her in jail, he knew he needed intense treatment.
Marshall went to McLean Hospital in Boston, where he met with clinicians and other borderline personality disorder patients for four hours a day. He spent three months there receiving treatment.
"It wasn't till I got here that I understood why I was so unhappy, why I was so miserable," Marshall told the Sun-Sentinel. "But understanding is merely the beginning of the journey."
Marshall has decided to go public with his mental illness in hopes of bringing attention to the disorder and helping others who suffer from it. He has been filming a documentary called "Borderline Beast" that shows his struggles.
"I'll be the face of BPD," Marshall said. "I'll make myself vulnerable if it saves someone's life because I know what I went through this summer helped save mine."